As many of you know by now, Abdul Kassim, the Executive Director of the Kibera Girls Soccer Academy will be traveling throughout the US for 5 weeks to speaking to the importance of educating girls in extreme poverty. If you find yourself in Denver, the Twin Cities, Los Angelos, San Diego, Boston, New York, or Washington D.C., join us at an event! Contact Ryan Sarafolean at Ryan@KGSAfoundation.org for more information on any of the events.
Thursday, September 25th Beverly Hills, CA
- Abdul is the keynote speaker at the annual Gala for Groundwork Opportunities (GO). GO identifies and partners with local leaders in the developing world and provides then with the start-up capital necessary to turn their vision into reality. For more information on the event, please visit: http://groundworkopportunities.org/events/
Saturday, September 27th Denver, CO
- Abdul will be climbing Mt. Bierstadt on the Front Range! It is one of Colorado’s most popular 14ers and is easy to access.
- We are meeting at the Trailhead at 7:00am. The climb is 6.0 miles round trip and 2,770 feet elevation gain
- Starting Location: Guanella Pass Trailhead, take the Georgetown exit off I-70 and proceed to Guanella Pass
- Be sure to pack lunches, water, rain gear, jacket etc. Please contact Ryan Sarafolean at Ryan@KGSAfoundation.org if you plan on joining.
Sunday, September 28th Monument, CO
- Abdul will be speaking at Trinity Lutheran Church (17750 Knollwood Dr, Monument, CO) for all three services starting at 8:00am, 9:30am, and 10:45am. Everyone is welcome to join.
Tuesday, September 30th Minneapolis, MN
- The Learning Abroad Center will be hosting an event where practitioners, experts, and Abdul will be speaking on girl education and community development.
- Location: Campus Club, University of Minnesota @ 5:00-7:00pm**** Appetizers & Cash bar. PLEASE RSVP at: z.umn.edu/MSIDKenya
Thursday, October 2nd Saint Paul, MN
- Come hear from several different Cretin-Derham Hall alumni speak about their experiences working at KGSA and how it has altered the course of their life and work. Abdul will speak to the significance of the C-DH community involvement and the direction of KGSA.
- Location: 550 Albert Street S. St. Paul, MN - C-DH Commons Room @ 6:00-8:30pm
Friday, October 10th San Diego, CA
- Evening fundraiser in Rancho Sante Fe @ 6:00-8:00pm.
- Contact Ryan Sarafolean for more details - Ryan@KGSAfoundation.org
Saturday, October 11th San Diego, CA
- On the International Day of the Girl, join high school peer education group Global Arms of Advocacy (GAA) to learn about empowering girls and women through health and education. Hear Abdul Kassim — founder and executive director of Kibera Girls Soccer Academy, a free, all-girl high school in the Kibera slums of Nairobi, Kenya — tell his story and those of the women and girls who inspire him. Plus, listen to other guest speakers, work on a creative project to benefit others, and view a chapter of Girl Rising, a film that highlights the power of educating girls internationally. You’ll leave confident in your power to make an impact.
- 1:00-4:00pm located at the Balboa Program Center - 1231 Upas Street, San Diego, CA. (More information HERE)
Sunday, October 12th San Diego, CA
- An evening with celebrating the wonderful partnership between the Global Journal Project and the Kibera Girls Soccer Academy. The event will be help from 4:00-8:00pm. Location is still to be determined. Email Ryan at Ryan@KGSAfoundation.org if interested in attending.
Thursday, October 16th Boston, MA
- Join the KGSA Foundation and the Harvard Engineers without Borders group for a talk on international development and sustainable engagement strategies.** Location: TBD, 7:00 - 8:30 pm. Email Ryan at Ryan@KGSAfoundation.org if interested in attending
Friday, October 17th Boston, MA
- KGSA is hosting an event with MIT. The Topics discussed are below.
- Location: Building 10 and Room 485 (fourth floor) 1:30 - 3:30pm
- (1) Brief history of the school, Kibera context
- (2) Goals in education/how does what is taught at KGSA compare to other Kenyan schools
- (3) Planning details of building a school in Kibera - I remember you had a lot of interesting planning comments and think it could be of interest to the planners here
- (4) Challenges - or opportunities for KGSA that could be brainstormed with the folks in the room
Sunday, October 19th Weston, MA
- Abdul will be speaking at a Fundraiser in Weston, MA from 2:00 - 4:00pmLocation: 55 Ridgeway Road. Weston, MA** Light Appetizers and Drinks Provided** All funding goes directly to the Elevate Education Capital Campaign building a 4-story Boarding and Community Center in Kibera.
Friday, October 24th Washington, D.C.
- Abdul is speaking at an event at American University with practitioners and experts on Men and Masculinity in the field of Gender Equality @ 5:30 - 7:00pm
- Location: 4400 Massachusetts Ave NW